Due dates: Quiz is due February 8, 7pm. Assignments are due February 10, 7pm.
Anne of Green Gables, chapters 1-12
"The Nightengale and the Rose" by Oscar Wilde
"The Vision of Sir Launfal" by James Robert Lowell
The two lines of poetry at the beginning of chapter 2 come from this poem.
Create an illustration of a scene from "The Nightengale and the Rose." You can use whatever medium you like but you must use some form of the color red and you may not use lined paper.
Write a 200 word diary entry that you might expect to read in Anne's diary on the first night she stays in Avonlea. What is she worried about, anticipating, remembering, and dreaming?
Prelude to Part First
Prelude to Part Second
The first paragraph you write should also give us at least a sentence of introduction to the poem and say what you are going to do in the essay. The last paragraph should include at least a sentence of conclusion, telling what you think the poem means. Make sure you start a new line and indent several spaces when you start a new paragraph. Your whole essay should be at least 200 words. Paragraphs can be short!
Write an essay about the history of Prince Edward Island. You can use the internet to do your research. This might be a good site to start with. Your essay should have four paragraphs as follows:
The Mi'kmaq nation
European discovery and the French settlement
The British settlement
The formation of Canada
You can end your history with 1908, when Anne of Green Gables was published. Make sure you include at least one important date for each paragraph. Make sure you start a new line and indent several spaces when you start a new paragraph. Your whole essay should be at least 200 words. Paragraphs can be short!
1. Why does Mrs. Rachel Lynde go to visit Matthew Cuthbert?
2. Why was Matthew surprised when he saw Anne? What was he expecting?
3. Whose idea is it to keep Anne, and who says no?
4. According to Anne, what is the worst thing about imagining things?
5. How old is Anne?
6. What does Marilla know about Mrs. Blewitt?
7. What two things does Anne ask for in her prayer?
8. Who are Katie Maurice and Violetta?
9. What does Mrs. Rachel Lynde say to Anne that throws her into a temper?
10. What does Marilla realize about Anne's apology that Mrs. Rachel Lynde does not realize?
11. What kind of dress was Anne hoping for?
12. What does Diana's mother tell us about her?