Quiz due April 4, 7pm
Writing and Creative Assignments due April 6, 7pm
A Wizard of Earthsea, by Ursula K. LeGuin, chapters 1-3
"Learning the Name" by Ursula K. LeGuin
Imagine you run a hotel in the village of Thwil. You are trying to drum up more business, based on your idea that maybe tourists will want to come and visit, to see the flying houses and boys turning into fish, and stare at the wizards in training. Write an article for Destination Earthsea magazine including travel instructions and a description of the village and your hotel, and detailing everything there is to see and do in Thwil. Make sure you include instructions/rules for interacting with wizards. Use your imagination to come up with some local attractions. Destination Earthsea editors have a firm word limit of between 200 and 250 words.
Create an illustration of Ged and his otak including as much detail as you can. Use details from the story including description and dialogue to show what you think an otak really looks like.
|Ursula K. Le Guin|
We laughed at Anne Shirley wanting to be called "Cordelia" but now that we're talking about magic and true names, that desire doesn't seem so frivolous. Think about how your name defines you, how it represents the person you are. Write an essay about your name in which you tell us where your name came from (if you know), and whether you feel it represents you. If you were to choose a "true name" for yourself, what would it be? Before you begin writing, think about an introduction, a body and a conclusion. What question will you ask in the intro that can be answered in the conclusion? What paragraphs will you include in the body? Make sure you intent at the beginning of each new paragraph. Make Google+ bow to your will on this formatting issue. 250 words.
1. The island of Gont is known for what?
2. What was the main character's birth name?
3. Why did the goats follow him to the village in such a weird way?
4. How did Ged save his village from the Kargs?
5. What was it like for Ged to be Ogion's apprentice. Lots of dragons and transformations?
6. What was Ogion's reaction when Ged chose to go to Roke?
7. Why is the weather so calm and the sea so still around Roke?
8. What is the door to the wizarding school made of?
9. What is the difference in personality between Vetch and Jasper?
10. How do you change a rock into a jewel?
11. What is the difference between Hardic and Old Speech?
12. Who works the illusion that charms the Lady of O?