Saturday, June 10, 2017
Reading Period 27: June 9-29: The Neverending Story
The Neverending Story by Michael Ende, chapters 18-26
"Robbie" by Isaac Asimov. You can read the intro to the collection too, if you want to, or just skip to the story "Robbie."
"I Am Much Too Alone in This World, Yet Not Alone" by Rainer Maria Rilke
After reading Rilke's poem, consider this question: What is it the speaker yearns for? He repeats the phrase "I want" a number of times. What is it that he really wants? Now write a poem of your own in which you examine the question of what you really want. It must start with the phrase "I am much too ___ in this world" (you can substitute your own word for "alone") and it must contain at least three lines that start with "I want..."
Finish up the short story you've been working on about the three invented creatures you pulled from the bag. Post the final version. If you haven't come to "The End" at least polish and post one episode from your story. Try for 1000 words.
Consider these questions: Which was your favorite of the books we read? Which was your least favorite? Which do you think should stay on the syllabus for the next time I teach this class, and which should I cut to make room for something else? From which book did you learn the most, and which was the most entertaining to read? Now write a well-structured essay of at least 250 words in which you choose one book to defend, that should definitely stay on the list, and one book to critique, which you feel should come off the list for next time.
Both of these writing assignments are required! Also, make sure you have your archive up to date.
1. The Acharis have been transformed into what goofy creatures?
2. Give a quote that shows Bastian is losing his memory of his own world.
3. What is the shape of Xayide's castle?
4. Give a quote that shows how proud and arrogant Bastian has become.
5. What plan does Bastian overhear Atreyu and Falkor discussing while he is invisible?
6. In chapter 22, Xayide tells Bastian he has finally found what he really wants. What does she say it is?
7. What happens to the sword Sikanda when Bastian draws it against Atreyu?
8. Why is the City of the Old Emperors full of humans who are stuck there?
9. What does Bastian eat at Dame Eyola's house?
10. What does Bastian discover about Mr. Coreander?